Scripture and Hermeneutics Seminar
**Registration is open for SAHS 2014. Click here to register.**
The Scripture and Hermeneutics Seminar (the Seminar), formed in 1998, aims to work with like-minded colleagues to renew biblical interpretation so that all the resources of the academic rigor of biblical studies is directed towards hearing God’s address in and through Scripture today. The Seminar is a growing community of biblical and other Christian scholars, pastors and publishers.
In its first phase (1998 – 2007) the Seminar organized an annual international seminar of interdisciplinary Christian scholars in different parts of the world; each seminar attended to a crucial issue in the renewal of biblical interpretation and each year the Seminar published a related volume. In this period the Seminar, under the leadership of Rev. Dr. Craig Bartholomew, hosted nine consultations and produced eight major academic volumes addressing the full range of issues which relate to hearing God speak in Scripture, including language, politics, ethics, biblical theology, philosophy, history, etc. [for more information about the history and ethos of the Seminar click here]
In 2007 the final volume of the projected eight volume Scripture and Hermeneutics Series, namely The Bible and the University,was published. The second phase of the SAHS has now begun with Seminar's becoming a vital part of the Paideia Centre for Public Theology which is now the primary vehicle for its work in biblical studies.
SAHS Committee Members
As part the Centre, the Scripture and Hermeneutics Seminar committee is chaired by Rev. Dr. Craig Bartholomew. Committee members are: Dr. Heath Thomas; Dr. Jason Hood, Dr. A.J. Culp and Dr. David Beldman.
SAHS Annual Meeting
As part of its new phase the Seminar will meet around the Society of Biblical Literature’s (SBL) annual North American meeting. While our meeting is by invitation only for reasons of space, please contact us if you have an interest in this venue. Click here for information about the most recent gathering which took place on November 22, 2021 in Baltimore. To register for SAHS 2014, click here.
The Seminar has several new projects underway:
- Hearing the Old Testament: Craig Bartholomew and David Beldman have edited a carefully planned volume with this title. It was published in 2012 with Eerdmans Publishing.
- Ryan O’Dowd and Craig Bartholomew are working on An Introduction to Old Testament Wisdom Literature for IVP USA.
- Mary Healy's commentary on Mark being presented to Pope Benedict XVI
- Seminar members are involved in a variety of exciting developments. Mary Healy and Peter Williamson are editing a New Catholic Commentary Series.
- Craig Bartholomew, with Prof. Gordon McConville, is series editor for Eerdmans Two Horizons Old Testament Commentary Series. Several members of the Seminar are writing for this Series:
- Robin Parry: Lamentations
- Ryan O’Dowd: Ruth
- Craig Bartholomew: Jonah
- Aubrey Spears: Esther
- Al Wolters is now working full time for the Paideia Centre on his major commentary on Zechariah, whose completion we keenly anticipate.
- Craig Bartholomew’s commentary on Ecclesiastes has now been published (Baker Academic).
- Ryan O’Dowd’s doctoral thesis has now been published.